May 21th through May 28th
- Weight: 340.8 lbs. (-6 / -21.2 total)
- Waist size for pants: 54 (-2)
This was a great sprint. First, I don’t think that the previous week was a plateau or, if it was, it was a small one. Regardless, the changes I made to deal with the “plateau” worked, with six (!) pounds gone.
So, let’s look at the changes I made to my stories:
Story 2 – I want to burn an extra 1000 calories each day, as measured by the Watch’s “Move” measure, to ensure that I am getting exercise and maintaining a minimum level of activity.
- TASK: Dedicate at least 30 minutes per work day to exercise.
- TASK: Dedicate at least 60 minutes per non-work day to exercise.
This was great. I didn’t make it to 1000 calories every day, as my exercise is outside and we had a thunderstorm one day, and on a few others my “normal” movement was less then enough to take me over 1000, but my average was 994 per day, only 6 below a 1000 average. What did strike me is that the decision to use minutes as a unit of measure was… silly. The goal is to burn 1000 calories, and so the Tasks should be about burning calories, so I’m shooting for 200 and 400 for Tasks 1 and 2, respectively.
Story 8 – I want to eat lunch every day, because when I don’t I tend to eat without thought to satisfy hunger before dinner.
This one… I didn’t meet the success criteria. Many reasons, but mainly that I didn’t make lunches before I left for work.
Story 9 – I want to consume a planned snack between meals WHEN HUNGRY, as a way of keeping myself from eating mindlessly and consuming more than I need.
Protein Bars rock. They’ve come a long way from the cardboard that they were when I lost before using other diets. I go to work with two of them, one for 10am and one for 3pm. I think that they keep my metabolism going and burning. They’ve also cut down on my unplanned snacking.
Stories (changes in RED)
User Stories: As someone trying to lose weight as part of a healthy lifestyle transformation:
- I want to stop consuming calories at 8 PM, because my body stores unspent calories overnight as fat.
- I want to burn an extra 1000 calories each day, as measured by the Watch’s “Move” measure, to ensure that I am getting exercise and maintaining a minimum level of activity.
- TASK: Work out enough to burn at least 200 calories per work day.
- TASK: Work out enough to burn at least 400 calories per non-work day.
- I want to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night, because when I don’t my body tries to substitute calories for rest.
- I want to stop drinking diet sodas, to avoid any side-effects of such, and to not try to fool my body that it’s getting extra calories.
- I do not drink alcohol, because the calories add no nutritional value to my body.
- I will not have second helpings at meals, because this adds significant calories without exploring new tastes.
- I want to eat lunch every day, because when I don’t I tend to eat without thought to satisfy hunger before dinner.
- I want to consume a planned snack between meals WHEN HUNGRY, as a way of keeping myself from eating mindlessly and consuming more than I need.
Again, a great week for losing, and I learned a lot about what I’m doing. Epic Two is complete, on to Epic Three, Sprint 7.
Categories: Sprint Results Epic Two